November 22, 2010 Sunday in the station
Sunday is the day off for most people around here which may just make you wonder, what are people doing at the South Pole on their day off? Here's what I did:
1) Scoped out the station store and bought postcards to send home. They also have lots of clothing and tons of movies to rent.
2) Played James Brown Bingo (James Brown is the head chef) in the galley with almost the whole station present.
3) Ate a wonderful, gigantic brunch: eggs, waffles, fruit, hash browns.
4) Watched two episodes of a science fiction series with about 10 people who are really into science fiction.
5) Listened to a lecture on modern cosmology and the 10-meter South Pole Telescope by none other than John Carlstrom. This lecture is part of a Sunday night series presented by the various scientists working here at the pole.
6) Made some posters in the arts and crafts room--it has two sewing machines and lots of fun things to play with!
7) Slept a bunch!